Friday, September 11, 2009

The Zoo and The Five Legged Rhino.

As the summer comes to a close, I can't help but to stop and reflect on some of the times I have shared with my kids this summer. From lazy days lounging in the backyard, to hectic crazy days driving all around town. When its all said and done, I truly enjoyed the summer.
One particular day stands out fresh in my mind. It was July 1st. It was HOT. It was also the first Wednesday of the month. Well in years past, the first Wednesday always meant the San Francisco Zoo was free. What a great way to beat the heat, and since I was low on funds what an even greater way!
When we got to the zoo there was a big sign posted out front that read " As of July 1st, Zoo free for San Francisco residents only" Oh great. So 36 big ones later we were on our way to navigate through the hundreds of people who came for free Wednesday and maybe get a glimpse of an animal or two.
All in all it was a wonderful day. We enjoyed the lunch we packed in a shady spot on the lawn, got stuck in the insect zoo when a day camp came piling in and we could do nothing but sit and watch with our giant stroller preventing us from getting anywhere, and had fun taking turns on who could guess which animal would be sleeping or awake. (I won, they were ALL sleeping)
Towards the end of the day we made our way through "Africa". We came across the Rhinos. Caleb was super excited because these animals were awake. And boy were they ever! Heres how it went down:
"Mommy! that Rhino has five legs!" cried Caleb.  "No Wait! Mom is that a penis?"replied Abby.
"It can't be a penis Abby, because its jumping!" "Yes it is! Mom! Caleb is saying its not a penis and it is!" 
All the while a huge crowd is gathering to see this rhinoceros with his jumping penis and to laugh at the kids fighting about said penis. I could do nothing but stare lovingly at my arguing children and wonder if there is anything they don't  fight about. There isn't.
So that was a quick trip down the memory lane of our summer.  Onward fall!!! But I will leave you with a token from our memorable day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know this was going to be x-rated... ;) Too funny! Are you gonna recollect the sneezing spaghetti noodle? Please do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so funny! It totally reminded me about the whole Polka Dot Bikini... Haa! Too funny! Thanks for sharing such an intimate story!

    ReplyDelete