Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hittin' the books


So.. I'm a student now. It's the hottest topic at my house lately. For me, its kind of terrifying. If I actually take the time to step back an think about what I'm doing I would probably run away screaming flailing my arms above my head. (and that is not an unrealistic description) 
So I just dive right in and do it without looking back.  So far the results have been promising but we will see just how promising when I get my grade from the test I took last week.
It's actually a pretty humbling experience, going back to school. It also reminds me that I am starting to get old! I remember a time when I could look at my teachers like they were so much older and experienced than me. I think I am actually older than my sociology instructor and  almost every single student in that class.
The cool thing about it is I see it rubbing off on the kids. When mom has her study time they have theirs. We turn off all the electronic devices, put away the toys, and get out the books. I have always had a hard time getting all the kids to settle in with a book at the same time, so me setting the example has really helped. 
After about 10 minutes they start getting fidgety and the electronics come back on and the toys come back out, but hey...  10 minutes of quiet is more than a mom could ask for around here.
I hope that when I graduate the kids are proud of me and they will strive to do even better.
I really don't know where all this will lead in the end, but so far its had a positive effect around here so I'll keep reading and writing.... see ya at graduation. (gulp)



No comments:

Post a Comment