So on Monday of this week the kids and I decided to take a trip up to Mt. Diablo to see the "snow". We don't get snow around these parts so when it snows up on the mountain it's quite a big whoop-dee-doo.Plus the sad fact that my kids have never been to the snow. Yes folks it's true. I know, I know.. But we did it! We drove the 30 minutes up the mountain only to find out that if we wanted to go play in the actual fluffy snow we would have to get out and walk 2 miles uphill to the summit. This was almost tempting to me but I quickly shot that idea down.. I can just imagine the things I would have to write about if I actually drug 3 small children up 2 miles in the snow. (maybe I should have) ;)
The park ranger told us we could drive as far as the last campground and we might find some patches of snow to play in there. I clenched my teeth and just hoped for the best because I really didn't want to see the looks of disappointment on the kids faces when they saw that there really wasn't much there.
When we reached the campground I could see that it was quite packed, and we had to drive down quite a long parking lot in order to find a place to play. Seeing as how the kids have never actually been to the snow I figured the big patch that sat on the side of the road would suffice. And it did.
They had so much fun! the biggest snow patch was only about 10 feet long and 3 feet wide but they made it seem like it was winter wonderland. Not to mention it was totally iced over on the top and you had to kick it in order to unearth the soft part. (don't tell them I have bruises on my thighs from the "snow" ball fight) They slipped and ran, jumped, threw five pound snowballs, laughed and giggled for over an hour.
It just goes to show how little you actually need in order to have fun, just each other, the determination, and maybe throw in a patch or two of dirty snow.
♥




Sweet! We're going to try going up this weekend if it's not raining and snow's still up there. And I betcha we'll be hiking up a bit cuz that's just the kind of thing Jason would be saying "is not a big deal" 0_o
ReplyDelete